This past month has been a lot better than March has been. We've had a lot happen, we bought a new car. Well it's not a car so much, we got a 2008 Suburban! It's actually Bronco Mendonhall's private car from the last 2 years and now it has been bought by a major Uof U family - TAKE THAT BYU ! That's just a fun fact that we learned the past few days. My camera broke that's SO not cool.
Almost 2 years ago my grandpa was diagnosed with bone cancer. That was really hard news on our family, but explained many lingering questions about his health throughout many of his years. I could go on a lot more explaining his health issues and everything through out the last 2 years ( and I'd love to, but this is going to be a long post - I'll try to keep the non essential details to a minumim) he had 2 rounds of chemotherapy (which were very difficult physically for him as well as mentally for every member in my extended family), we thought he was going to die many times within the last 2 years. My grandpa suffered greatly throughout the last 2 years, but I think he was suffering more than he let on. Finally on April 19th at 2:07 am out Heavenly Father relieved my grandpa of all his suffering. My mom was planning a trip to Price (where my grandparents live) this saturday the 24th. When she got a phone call saying grandpa wasn't doing very well and she needed to come sooner, she picked up and left ( on the 15th). Grandpa was not doing very well at all his body was just giving up, he had been through SO much. A lot happened the next few days, they ( my grandma, mom, aunt gayla, uncle dennis and aunt sandy) had hospice services in the home to help. But they ( I'll just keep it to they considering everybody was doing everything we could. Either by physically being there or being there in spirit and prayer) started taking nightly shifts to be there and watch grandpa and help grandma. I was told almost everyday that today was the day grandpa was going to die. I was told that for 4 days. On the 5th day, Monday ay 2:07 am grandpa passed away. My mom said it was very peaceful he took a breath, exhaled with a stretch and a smile and that was it. I wished SOOOOO badly that I was there. I wanted to be of comfort and help to everybody I could, but at the sametime I'm glad I wasn't. I have such wonderful memories of my grandpa and I'd rather remember those than this as my last memory - besides I don't think it was my place either. I have so much love and respect for those who were there and went through nights and days with no sleep and who were giving comfort to everybody else there.
I could go on for days about my grandpa, the wonderful man he was and the love I have for those who were there at the time of his passing and who have helped so much the past many years.
My Grandpa gave Mike and I THE MOST IMPORTANT gift (other than life) that I think could ever be given. My Grandpa sealed us together for time and eternity. Yep, on May 16th 2003 at 11:19 am my Grandpa married Mike and I. Because of that gift we will be able to see him again. We've talked to Max and Michaella about what has happened with Popi-grape and I think they truely know and understand what is going on.
In honor of my Grandpa Harold Mark Hanson http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=mark-hanson&pid=142046264
we have decided to name our baby boy Harold Cardston Wynder. We've had a very difficult time trying to decide upon a name for this little guy. All of our Children are named after family members, and that is important to us to teach them how to honor their given names and where they came from. This little guy, everyname we have come accross has been an utter DISASTER !!! We haven't been able to agree on anything. Since we knew we were having a boy I wanted to name him after grandpa, but I thought Harold is such a big name for a little boy, but I know that this is his name. Cardston is a town in Alberta Canada where Mike's dad was born and that has significant meaning to us.
We will miss popi-grape very much but we also know that he is in a better place and we will be able to see him again.
To those who have actually read this entire post, thank you for taking the time to read my scattered thoughts. I hope it made sence what I wrote.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Kim, I'm so sorry. It's hard to say goodbye to someone you love, but like you said, what a blessing to know the separation is only temporary. That will be neat to have your little boy named after your grandpa.
Post a Comment