Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's about time

Ok, First I'm sorry to everybody about the wait for the update, but as I hope you will all understand life has been beyond crazy.

The story all started on Aug. 25 Monday. I went to the Dr. to have a Non-stress test done. Everything turned out just fine as we assumed it would be. I was starting to get very anxious, I really really wanted these babies here I was SO uncomfortable. Wednesday came and my mom and I went to Costco to see if the luck would continue.
Costco Luck
For those of you who don't know I am now totally convinced Costco was put on this earth to help me go into labor! I went to costco the day before I delivered Max and Michaella and now the twins. It works I promise

So walking around costco was killing me - it was so hard, but I liked it. Then we came home and I layed down in bed and the contractions started YEAH !!!
10 minutes then 7 minutes then 5 minutes then 3 minutes and stayed at that for 1 hour. At this point I was freeking out. I called Mike and told him to wait at work because he might just go to the hospital instead of coming all the way home first. As we walked to the car to go to the hospital ...... THEY STOPPED !!! Are you freaking kidding me !
I was beyond Livid, I couldn't even think straight. So Mike came home, I took a shower to try to calm down.
We asked my mom to stay over and Mike and I went walking determined to get these babies here sooner. By this time it was about 7:30pm. Mike and I drove to LDS Hospital and we started walking around. When in Labor with 1 baby they say to go to the hospital when contractions are 5 minutes apart for at least 1 hour, with twins they said 7 minutes apart for 1 hour. So we walked around the hospital for 1 hour and the contractions had started but weren't regular. We decided to give it one more hour until 9:30 and as soon as we started walking again they came every 7 minutes for 1 hour and up we went to the 4th floor of LDS. They put us in a room, hooked me up to the monitors ( they had to do an ultrasound to find the heartbeats ) checked me and said I was dilated to a 2 and 65-70% effaced. Called the Dr. and told me she wanted to do a labor check ( come back in 1 hour to see if I was truely in labor ) The nurse came back at 10:45 checked me again and I was a 3 and 85% effaced. Left to call the Dr. again and... we waited again, praying they wouldn't send us home. At 11 our nurse came back in with an arm load of stuff. She said " I'm going to take your labs, set up the OR and we'll have these babies out in less than an hour"
AAAAHHHHHH

The moment we had been waiting and trying for was finally here and ...... I am nervous - what why am I nervous??? When doing the C-section the nurse said both heads were down, I was kind of excited to be honest, i wanted to deliver naturally ( but definately with an epidural ) but at the same time I really didn't want to deliver one naturally and then have an emergency C-section due to the baby flipping. But I also had had crazy poking up in my right side on top of my ribs and was curious to what it was, so i asked if we could see. And it was a head Rusty's head to be exact the 2 heads they had seen lower down were Abbey's 1 head. So it was an automatic C-section. Then at 11:30 Dr. Holms ( Dr. Langeland was not on call that day) walked into our room asked a bunch of questions and said they'd be born by midnight. Well it happened to be Aug. 27 and if you remember I thought it would be great if they were born on 08/28/08, so I asked if we could wait until 12:00 so they would have the B-day i liked. She said that wasn't a problem at all and they'd just take things a little slower. Mike then out on his "Bunny suit" as the nurse called it, and off we went to the OR. We walked into the OR and everybody minus the 2 Dr.'s that would be doing the surgery were waiting for me. They asked me to "HOP" up onto the table. Yeah like I could hop up there. I couldn't even climb up there even if I wasn't pregnant. It was a very narrow table inverted towards the head. I asked for a stool and everybody kind of chuckled. I got my spinal block and we were on our way. Man I was so emotional I cried the WHOLE time I was nervous and just wanted healthy babies.
First came Abbey at 12:33 then Rusty at 12:34! and off they both went to be assessed and wipped off. Abbey needed to go to the Special Care Nursery ( SCN ) to have a little help breathing and I wasn't able to see her until 2:30 and at that time I just sat there holding her trying my hardest not to cry. Rusty how ever was able to come to with us Mike "drove" his bassenet to my room when we went.

While I was holding Abbey for the first time Mike took and bathed Rusty. While I was holding Abbey they took her off the Oxygen and turned down the flow of oxygen from a medium to slow flow. That just means she was able to breath easier and better. I was very relieved to hear that and felt very good to know that I was the reason she was doing better. I held her sitting in the wheelchair sleeping and holding her for about an hour then Mike came back we took pictures of the babies together and then I needed to go lay down. As I was putting Abbey down she pursed her little lips and started to cry. And of course I started to bawl as am now, andI held Rusty and cried all the way back to my room. Because of the construction they are doing there the SCN was on the opposite side of the floor as my room. Once she was able to nurse i walked the from my room to the SCN every 3 hours to feed her come back feed Rusty sleep for about 45 minutes then wake up walk to feed Abbey and come back and start all over again. I was able to feed Abbey Thursday ( 28th) evening and she was DC'd to my room on the morning of the 29th.

Now we are home life is crazy the babies are to little to sleep in there own room so they are still sleeping in our bed on special pillows against the wall and me. They are eating and sleeping well, but we are still not getting very much sleep, they are eating one right after another every three hours. I will try to keep up better on the blogging. But please understand I am a walking Zombee and trying to take care of 4.

Max and michaella are doing very well with the adjustment, they love to hug, kiss and hold the babies. We are so very blessed and very grateful to those who have helped us and continue to help us.

We are so grateful to our Heavenly Father who has blessed us with 4 very healthy and happy good little children, and we know that he will help us to keep sane and figure life out sometime.

4 comments:

Lori said...

congratulations!!! What a story!! It's so great that they are finally here. Good luck w/ everything. Get some rest:)

Rawlings Family said...

Thanks so much for taking time to post. I'm glad things are going well. I love how they cuddle together. I'm sure eventually you'll get the hang of it.

marianne said...

What a fun story! Oh, I hope you find some sleep here and there. Thanks for posting all the cute pics. I think one of them looks a lot like Michaella (not sure which one it is). Anyway, congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Sounds like you have your hands more than full. I can't wait to see more pictures of them. Congrats babe!!